top of page
  • Writer's pictureJill Kolstad, M.Ed.

Step-by-Step Guide for Securing ADHD Accommodations at School

Eight straightforward steps — from requesting a school evaluation to monitoring accommodations — to help parents develop the best IEP or 504 Plan possible for kids with ADHD.

How to Get an IEP or 504 Plan for ADHD

The process of securing academic accommodations for your child with attention deficit disorder (#ADHD or #ADD) can be confusing — and intimidating. Follow these eight steps to take the hassle out of requesting and establishing an IEP or 504 Plan for ADHD.

Write a letter requesting an evaluation to see if your child with ADHD might benefit from academic accommodations.

Address it to the chairperson of the Committee on Special Education Services — aka the Director of Special Education Services. (It’s often a waste of time to send the letter to the child’s teachers, guidance counselor, or principal.)

Should the school decline your request, or if you’re dissatisfied with the evaluation’s findings, arrange for a private ADHD evaluation. (In some circumstances, the school may have to pay for the outside assessment.)

TIP: Send your letter by certified mail or hand-deliver it and keep a dated proof of receipt for your records.

2. Meet With the Evaluation Team

A school-sponsored evaluation is conducted by a multidisciplinary team — including special-education teachers, the school psychologist, and other professionals. As part of the process, they’ll want to meet with you to learn more about how your child functions in school...NEXT STEPS

4 views0 comments


bottom of page